Vienglish is a term used by many of my friends to show the mix between languages, and perhaps cultures. This new meld between English and Vietnamese represents my life in Ho Chi Minh City where my culture and beliefs effect how I see and understand the new world around me. Vienglish, my travel blog is an outlet for me to share with others my experiences here in Vietnam and my passion for great food!

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Hoi An Restaurants

For those traveling to Hoi An here is a small list of top stops.

As we toured we tried the top three Hoi An specialties:

Cao Lau - Thick yellow noodles

Fried Wontons - Thin crispy filo pastry wrapped around a small pocket of meat. This fried delectable is topped with a variety of items such as stewed tomatos, chopped greens, cucumbers, etc.

White Rose - Soft, paper thin, white, rice noodles wrapped around a pocket of meat and accompanied with a sauce.

Miss Ly's

Recommendations:
Miss Ly's special grilled pork is a must. Picture making your own spring rolls with spiced up slices of pork, fresh greens and bean sprouts, small hot pickle slices, and rice paper to roll it all up. Also accompanied with dipping sauce.

Van Lu

Recommendations:
The best fried wontons in Hoi An! Most restaurants make their wontons taste like tacos, but Van Lu's has a unique taste.
Papaya Salad with shrimps and sliced pork topped with crunchy peanuts.

Mermaid Restaurant

Recommendations:
Something about the Mermaids white rose got me. They came out pipin' hot and the sauce was extra flavorful.

The Cargo Club

Recommendations:
It's hot sandwiches are great but don't try the Vietnamese food. This place is best for a sweet dessert and coffee or just some beer and complimentary nachos.

This website has some pictures of Vietnamese food including white rose and fried wontons from Hoi An.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home