Vienglish is a term used by many of my friends to show the mix between languages, and perhaps cultures. This new meld between English and Vietnamese represents my life in Ho Chi Minh City where my culture and beliefs effect how I see and understand the new world around me. Vienglish, my travel blog is an outlet for me to share with others my experiences here in Vietnam and my passion for great food!

Monday, May 01, 2006

Quan An Ngon, Ho Chi Minh City


Quan An Ngon is one of the best, relatively cheap restaurants were tourists and locals come to get good Vietnamese food. Its decor and atmosphere are great with large fans that spray a cooling mist over everyone, making the day less harsh. The restaurant itself has both indoor and outdoor seating with green tropical greenery. The outside walls of the restaurant hold little stalls that show off each type of Vietnamese dish. You can see fresh seafood on banana leafs ready to be cooked, porridge steaming in pots, woks ablazing with banh xeo, etc. Each stall has something new to offer and allows those of us who are not familiar with Vietnamese cooking to get a feel for it. My personal favorite is the grilled pork balls with rice paper and greens. Using the rice paper and layering lettuce, cucumber, perhaps some sweet pineapple, and some pork balls, you are able to make your own spring rolls. They also give you small cones of rolled up fried rice paper that adds a nice crunch to your meal. Top the spring roll off with a sweet spicy dipping sauce and your set. Everything I have tried here is great. They offer a nice selection of Vietnamese desserts which are refreshing after the sugary sweet taste of the influence of french colonialism. The coconut milk and mung beans is a cool drink for a hot day and a new favorite is hot soya curd with a sweet gingery sauce. Yum...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Be sure to stop here on your tour around Ho Chi Minh City.

Quan An Ngon
138 Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa
Ho Chi Minh City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home