Vienglish is a term used by many of my friends to show the mix between languages, and perhaps cultures. This new meld between English and Vietnamese represents my life in Ho Chi Minh City where my culture and beliefs effect how I see and understand the new world around me. Vienglish, my travel blog is an outlet for me to share with others my experiences here in Vietnam and my passion for great food!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Honoring Ancestors


During Tet all families trek to family temples and honor their ancestors. This picture was taken atop the Jade Emperor Temple. The place was crowded and dirty. Incense papers littered the floor and the smoke from the incense was heady. Large fans swirled the perfume of sandalwood out of the bustling rooms. Upstairs there was less activity as the roof provided a quiet escape. Looking over the balcony you can see the large pool where 100's of turtles live as well as the court yard. Also visible is the beautiful roofs decorated with painted dragons and blooming flowers. The picture shows one of the ornaments that ordane the Jade Emperor's temple roof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home