Vienglish is a term used by many of my friends to show the mix between languages, and perhaps cultures. This new meld between English and Vietnamese represents my life in Ho Chi Minh City where my culture and beliefs effect how I see and understand the new world around me. Vienglish, my travel blog is an outlet for me to share with others my experiences here in Vietnam and my passion for great food!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Year of the Dog: Celebrating Tet


CHUC MUNG NAM MOI!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tet has finally sprung upon us and it brings with it lots of unexpected suprises!

For the past couple of days it has been hard to buy food because almost all of the grocery stores are gone. When Tet arrives people throw work to the wind and everyone seems to congregate downtown for the festivies. The streets are filled at night with the sound of concerts, parades, and loud speakers pumping out music. The middle section of the downtown road is completely closed off, and there are large displays of orchids, waterfalls, and flowers.

This picture was taken during a trip to Mui Ne with my mom. The yellow apricot flowers represent the south of Vietnam while the pink blossoms are peach blossoms represent the north. These trees are especially abundant during Tet, as are mandarin trees because the mandarin is orange and round, representing wealth and good fortune.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home